Sunday 13 December 2009

Does Belief Hurt America?


Here's an interesting article that goes over some research done that measured national success vs. the degree of secularity. The findings show that the most secular states end up performing the best in area of societal and economic stability.
Paul is quick to point out that his study reveals correlation, not causation. Which came first — prosperity or secularity — is unclear, but Paul ventures a guess. While it's possible that good governance and socioeconomic health are byproducts of a secular society, more likely, he speculates, people are inclined to drop their attachment to religion once they feel distanced from the insecurities and burdens of life.

This is probably true. How often do we see religious apologists trying to prey upon the downtrodden, the old, the sick, etc. It's because religion very often targets those who are most vulnerable. When people aren't vulnerable, they are less likely to be religious, which is why we see such a significant shift away from religion in developed countries.

This study also shows that religion need not be the backbone for a moral society. In fact, the US, which is more religious than the other countries studied ended up on the tail end of just about all of the moral and social indicators used. And, we don't see the implosion of those secular states which are leading the way. So, for those who believe in belief (as Dennett puts it) have one more data point to have to explain away.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I can say that in my own experience, in the past when things were going really well, it was easy for me to think I had got it all together and had no need of God. But through the years, and my failures, I've come to see my great need of God. So that now when times are good in my life I am grateful to the God from whom the good things came.

I think I am not particularly unique. So that would be my explanation why prosperity often brings with it secularization.

Tyler said...

Tracy: I can say that in my own experience, in the past when things were going really well, it was easy for me to think I had got it all together and had no need of God.

If things are going really well for someone, why do they need a god?

Tracy: But through the years, and my failures, I've come to see my great need of God.

If someone fails at something, why do they need a god?

What about all the people god apparently abandoned when they really really needed him? People praying their asses off as the plane they're on is nosediving into the ground? The kidnapping/rape victims who pray to be rescued, only to be murdered? The thousands of people who will starve to death while praying for food in the time it takes you to read this post?

What is it that makes you think god is actually looking out for your well being while ignoring the plights of people who are likely going through far worse than anything you've ever experienced? What makes you so special?

Tracy: So that would be my explanation why prosperity often brings with it secularization.

Well, you've reversed the chain of causality the author presents, but sure, overcoming insecurity (many times a result of religious thinking) after becoming successful is common, in the same way stage fright generally wanes the more someone stands in front of an audience, or feeling more secure about going to the dentist the more someone visits a dentist.